Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Salad Sorcery

If you work from home, you may face the same problem that I do of coming up with new, yummy meals each day. Fish sticks and oven fries are great, but they get old fast. And going out to eat each day isn’t good for my wallet or my waistline.
So I turn the chore of cooking lunch into a little game, and the result is tasty, healthy meals that actually make me look forward to the next day’s lunch break.
(Most of the time. Every once in a while, my little cooking adventures turn into nasty disasters that send the dog running from the room with his tail between his legs, just from the smell. Like last week’s fried-potato-and-chicken-breast accident. My stomach turns just thinking of it.)
I have a kind of running competition going with myself to try to outdo last week’s amazing lunches. I also talk out loud to my dog–these are some of the hazards of working alone at home all day.
My veggie delivery guy brought lettuce this week, so I’ve been doing less cooking and more salad sorcery.
And yesterday it really was sorcery.
I hate throwing away food, and I had left-over kidney beans, an open package of tofu, and some cooked beets that all really needed to go. So I took a deep breath, braced myself for the worst, and created this amazing salad:

Everything Salad (serves one)
1 plateful of lettuce (if you have arugula, add a little of that, too!)
3 oz. tofu (or as much as you want–I use 1/3 of a block)
2-3 Tbs cold cooked kidney beans (I just use the canned kind)
3-4 slices cooked beet, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 carrot, sliced
1 Tbs cooking oil (canola or peanut work fine)
dash of soy sauce
dash of Worcestershire sauce (optional, but highly recommended!)

Sautee the tofu with the oil, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Meanwhile, top the lettuce with beans, beet and carrot and prepare the salad dressing. Top salad with the hot tofu and drizzle with dressing.
As the name suggests, you can alter this salad in any way you like. Happen to have tomatoes or apples lying around? Slice them up and toss them in! Don’t have or don’t like tofu? Substitute chopped chicken or turkey breast.

REALLY Simple Salad Dressing:
I usually make enough to last for several salads.
5 Tbs olive oil
3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp mustard (the kind with seeds adds an extra dimension, but plain is fine, too)
Combine ingredients in an air-tight container; shake thoroughly. You can dress up this dressing however you like: chopped chives or basil, dried Italian herbs, salt and pepper–you get the idea.



7 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty tasty. I hope you post more vegetarian recipes, I am always looking for new quick and easy meals. I also work from home sometimes and it can be difficult to stay home when the sushi place or the Thai restaurant have lunch specials just up the street. No matter what they make it always seems to taste better than anything that comes out of my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog. I love it. I enjoy meat but less so each day. Vegetables are a mainstay of my life style. My cooking is changing and sometimes there are disasters made from vegetables I really love and feel I owe the vegetable gods an apology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, ladies! I will be sure to post some more recipes in the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! As a freelancer, I can't wait to see what you post next. It's always a challenge to keep from sitting in front of the computer 24/7 and either not eating or eating cereal at every meal...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer,

    I added your blog to my Google Reader. I look forward to future posts. One quick note- as I added it, I noticed a typo in your blog's address. Just wanted to let you know, in case you weren't aware.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great first post! Those of us who work from home regularly need your help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the heads up Laura. I wondered why the blog address wasn't already taken. :-)

    Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Now I need to get my act in gear and write more posts!

    ReplyDelete